A picture of your webmaster (Phil) on a Farmall "H". Picture was probably taken during the summer of 1953 - south of George Price's Store
FRIENDSVILLE was first surveyed and platted in 1854. It was named for
Friendsville, PA. The first log house was built by Job Pixley in 1818.
In 1838, Robert Parkinson built the first store at the present crossroads. A drug store was established in 1838 by William Wilkinson on the southeast corner of the present crossroad. The brick Presbyterian Church was built in 1849 at a cost of $1,200.
The Friendsville Library Association was chartered in 1840. The library existed for 20 years. At this time it boasted of having over 300 books.
The Friendsville Academy was an outgrowth of a high school taught in the Presbyterian Church by Rev. Samuel Baldridge. The academy started in 1860. It was discontinued during the Civil War. In 1866, the Friendsville Academy School Building was built. It became the site of the Friendsville School. Click HERE to see 1866 street map of Friendsville.
In the 1880's there were between 300-400 residents of Friendsville.
There were three doctors: Dr. Leeds, Dr. Kingsbury and Dr. Warner
The three general stores were: Baggis Brothers, A.C. Kelsey and George Wilkinson
The drug store was operated by James Leeds, Jr
The three wagonmakers were: John Shoaff, Joseph Price and William Curren
One shoemaker: John Pool
Two blacksmiths: John Gilkinson and George W. Shoaff
Two dressmakers: Maahala Snyder and Agnes Crum
The hotel was operated by Thomas Wilkinson
Justice of the Peace was J.P. McNair and the Postmaster was William Wilkinson
There were two mill-wrights: Robert and George Wilkinson
The origial developers of Friendsville in 1854 were William Wilkinson, John Youngken
and Cyrus Danforth.
Check back often for more of Friendsville's Beginnings
N O R T H
S O U T H
W E S T
E A S T
FORTS IN THE AREA - Most of the forts in the area were built around 1810 & 1811. John Wood built Fort Wood south of Friendsville near Dunkel Curve. Fort Barney was built under the direction of William Barney in 1811. This fort was in Friendsville and located just north of where the old school house is now. It was several hundred yards long and included the ground that the school house sits on. According to an article written by local historian, Dallas Krumm, the old fort well can still be seen in the farm field north of the school house. (I've got to go check that out) There was also a Fort Higgins located about one mile south of Friendsville. Probably built by and/or named for a man by the name of Ransom Higgins. Fort Ramsey was built during that time also, but it's location is unknown.